Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

The more time I spend in Georgia, the more I miss Mississippi. I woke up this morning and was ready to leave my apartment 20 minutes earlier than usual. I needed to stop by CVS before class to pick up a newspaper to use in teaching today. Since I left 20 minutes early, it took me less time to get to CVS (what was usually a 20 minute drive was only 10 today). I went in CVS where it was warm and overflowing with red and pink. I decided to buy some candy for my students along with the papers. I also bought a pretty red bag to use for passing out the candy. I left CVS still 15 minutes earlier than I usually pass the store. I was in a good mood despite the fact that I slept little last night because I kept mentally going through notes for my French test today. I was jamming to 90s on 9 and dancing around as I went. Then all of a sudden I saw blue lights behind me. I pull over thinking this guy is a fool. I was definitely not speeding because the car in front of me was creeping. So he walks up to my car and tells me my tag is expired. Technically my tag expired on my birthday...that's how backwards things are here in Georgia. However, the stickers on my tag say Feb 08...which I thought meant I was ok until March. (mind you I've paid for the tag and am waiting for the sticker to be mailed). I tell him that and he wants to see a reciept. There are lots of papers in my car...mostly McDonald's receipts, but I don't keep major bill receipts in there, so I told him it was at home. He then went to his car where he took 30 minutes (not exaggerating there at all). I was about 2 seconds from getting out of my car, walking to his and telling him to give me the ticket so that I wouldn't be late for work. Then he walks up with a ticket. He explains that I can go spend a full day in court to get it thrown out after I get my tag sticker in the mail. However, I have to wait at least 30-45 days because they are slow putting tickets into the system. He also handed me an official warning because I haven't gotten a new driver's license with my current address. Apparently in this stupid state, you have 30 days to get a new license. And they think Mississippi is backwards! Once he had held me there for 30 minutes my niceness had gone out the window, and I was not happy, so of course I started sassing him. I pulled the Jonathan Devore "You've got to be kidding me" tactic about four different times throughout the time he stood at my window. When he started to leave I sarcastically said, "Happy Valentine's Day." He replied the same, and I said, "Whatever...jerk" before driving away.

No comments: