Thursday, March 27, 2008

Class Today

This morning in my 9:30 class, most of my students walked in right at 9:30. I began class by handing out their rough drafts for the annotated bibliography that they are working on. I was finishing up handing out drafts when Adam, on of the students, walked in late. I handed him his draft, and asked the class if they had questions about any comments I've made. A girl on the left hand side of the room raised her hand first, so I went straight there. I then saw several hands go up on the other side of the room, and I planned on going there after answering the first question. Then one of the students who had his hand raised got up and walked to where I was helping the other student. He said, "Uh, I think Adam's hurt. He's in pain." So, I jumped over to that side of the room to check on Adam, and he told me his knee cap had popped out of place. Obviously my first thought was, "I don't know what to do!" Our classroom is two blocks down the street from the hospital, but he couldn't walk. I tried calling the school health clinic (that for some bizarre reason moved off campus), but nobody answered. The students asked me to call the police, but I kept telling them the police would walk in pretending they knew what they were doing and then just stand there looking like idiots. Finally I called 911. About 20 minutes later the paramedics showed up to my class. The paramedics were two women about my size. They forced Adam to stand up and get on the gurney, they got him settled and rolled him out. The hospital is so close that they seriously could have just wheeled him down the street. Needless to say, we got very little school work done. I've had a lot of things happen in class before, but I've never had a student taken out by 911! One of my students took a picture, so you can totally see I'm not lying.

No comments: